Almost everyone loves chocolate. Its sweet, smooth taste can tantalize the taste buds, while also making you feel happy and spoiled. Chocolate truffles are the epitome of blissful eating and they possess a luxurious texture and flavor. Why not try making them yourself, adding a little cannabis while you’re at it.
Cannabis Butter vs Hashish Oil
When it comes to making truffles, there are two methods of infusing them with cannabis. The most common method is to add cannabis butter (learn how to make it here) to replace the cocoa butter. However, some prefer to add a little hash oil to each individual truffle, using a pipette. After all, if you’re making something with cannabis butter, the dosage can sometimes be inconsistent. If you don’t mix your ingredients properly, some truffles may be slightly stronger than others. This is not the case if you dose them individually, leaving you in control. It’s not very practical to do with, say, a big batch of brownies, but with small treats, like truffles, it’s pretty easy. The following recipe covers both methods.
- Hash oil or 85 grams of cannabis butter
- 110 ml whipped cream (with about 40% fat)
- 900 grams dark chocolate
- 340 grams of milk or white chocolate (this is used as the outer layer)
- 85 grams of cocoa butter (you only need this if you are using hash oil. Do not use it in addition to cannabis butter)
- 340 grams fresh raspberries
- 4 teaspoons raspberry bourbon (or any other liquor of your choice)
If you like to add a little extra to your cannabis chocolate truffles, you can spice them up with some raspberry, the perfect companion to chocolate. You need to make a raspberry juice first and add it to the mix later. Optional: Making Raspberry Juice 1. Blend your raspberries into juice using a blender 2. Strain the raspberry juice through a sieve to remove the seeds. 3. You should now have a thick juice, which you can set aside until later. Making the truffles 1. Pour your cream into a glass or metal bowl. 2. Place the bowl on a pan of boiling water, called the au bain marie method. 3. Heat the cream until it steams and shows signs of simmering (do not let it boil). 4. Remove the cream from the heat source. 5. Add your cannabis butter/cocoa butter and dark chocolate (not the chocolate you will use for the outer layer). 6. Place the bowl back on the pan of boiling water and slowly melt the butter and chocolate, stirring gently with a spatula. 7. Optional: Now that this is all mixed, it’s time to add your raspberry juice and raspberry bourbon. Mix it in and stir evenly. 8. You should now have a well mixed chocolate ganache. Use your spatula to spread it evenly in a glass bowl or flat dish. 9. Place this dish in a cool, dark place for 3-4 hours. It should stiffen up. 10. Take a baking sheet and cover it with nonstick baking paper. 11. Take your ganache and use your hands or an ice cream scoop to make small balls. 12. Place the balls on the baking sheet and put everything in the fridge to harden.
Coating your truffles
1. It is now time to make the coating for your truffles. Take your milk/white chocolate and put it in a clean, metal or glass bowl. 2. Place the bowl on a pan of boiling water and let it melt. 3. Once the chocolate is melted (this may take a while), take a skewer and dip the solidified ganache balls into it one by one. 4. Place each dipped ganache ball back on the baking sheet. 5. Optional: If you are using hash oil instead of cannabis butter, now is the time to dose your truffles. Drizzle the oil into the hole your skewer made and seal the hole with chocolate. The strength depends on your personal preference and the strength of your oil, but hopefully you have a good idea of how many drops you use. You can try one drop yourself first, or on top of other foods if you are unsure. Generally we recommend 1-3 drops (100-300mg), with 3 drops being considered extremely strong. 6. Place your completed truffles back in the refrigerator so the chocolate layer can harden. 7. Enjoy your sweet cannabis treat! So it’s that easy. The process seems long, but it’s actually super simple. Making these cannabis treats will make you look like a true master chef, with great taste. We recommend going the extra mile and adding the raspberries, it really adds a little something extra. By the way, don’t be afraid to experiment on your own, the recipe is hugely flexible! Do you have your own variation or addition that you add to your cannabis truffles? Let us know what your favorite is in the comments below!